Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

To mend or not to mend

I’ve been doing a little mending today. Mending the pockets of Robin’s work shorts, to be precise. They get holes in them because that’s where he keeps the biro pen. Over the years I have noticed that it doesn't matter what fabric shorts or trousers are made from, the pockets are generally constructed from some sort of flimsy fabric.

DSCF2524 Mending the pockets

Lots of quilters don’t do mending, I believe. “Would Michelangelo paint a fence/house/kitchen cupboards”, they say. Well, my answer to that is that I am certainly no Michelangelo of the quilt world. I am just so pleased that I haven’t lost my hubby to ill health (or any other reason, come to think of it). So I’m more than happy to do a bit of mending when asked. We hope to retire next year, so if I can get his work shorts to last the distance, so much the better. Then we can go tripping away in the caravan for as long as it takes!

4 comments:

blessedspeedy said...

Well done!!! I must confess Im not that keen on mending but when I start mending something everyone runs to me with other stuff to fix as well!!!

Helen said...

You remind me that my son asked a couple of weeks ago if I could fix the broken zip on his pants. I got as far as buying a new zip but haven't got to the machine with it yet. I need to get it done in the next couple of weeks before he goes back to Uni. That's the only reason I'm intending to do it, he is a poor uni student :-)

Lis Harwood said...

Thank you for your lovely words on my blog although there seems to have been a bit of a misunderstanding probably due to the way I posted. It isn't a quilt of mine that is missing but one belonging to Kimberly, I was just spreading the word. I've cut and pasted your thoughts to Kimberly who I am sure will appreciate your condolences.

Laurie said...

I used to do pocket mending as you say why do they make them so flimsey.... I started to reinforce the pockets with a nylon fabric when they were new..it worked. They did not wear through...
Laurie