Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Book Club

As a “temp” worker, when the work is running low, us temps are often put off work for days at a time. I have had the last two days at home, but I am required back tomorrow. Oh dear, my plans for doing lots of sewing have all come to nothing. Never mind, today I went to my very first “Book Discussion Group” at the library. I went along not really knowing the ropes, or what was expected from the participates.

The theme for this month was animal stories. My preferred reading matter is usually thrillers, preferably about serial killers who get their just desserts after going on a wild killing spree. Luckily I had read a few animal stories in my time, so quickly looked them up on the internet to refresh my memory. Ah yes, there was that non fiction series written by Jon Katz about his animals on Bedlam Farm. And I just happened to have the set of Duncton Wood books by William Horwood at home, so I took one of them with me to talk about.

About ten ladies turned up to the Book Club and the books reviewed were many and varied. Some of the ladies talked briefly, while others were more ebullient. The library staff provided tea and biscuits, and it was a very pleasant hour or so. Going to the book club regularly is on my list of “things to do” when I stop work – three months now and counting down! Not sure if I will be able to make the next meeting or not, depending on the work situation, but if I am available the theme is “religion”. Wonder what I will read to cover that topic? I’m sure to find something in the library!

1 comment:

FlourishingPalms said...

For the religion theme, I highly recommend reading "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. I've read it three times and that's still not enough! Inspirational.