Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Doesn’t everyone have a Givenchy?

The house of Givenchy was founded in 1952 by designer Hubert de Givenchy is a member of the French Federation of Fashion and of Ready-to-Wear of Couturiers and Fashion Designers.  It is owned by luxury goods conglomerate LVMH.  During his reign as the designer of the label bearing his name, Hubert de Givenchy was known for his modern, ladylike styles, which earned him many loyal clients. Audrey Hepburn wore his designs in films such as  How to Steal a Million and Breakfast at Tiffany's. The  Kennedy families famously wore Givenchy clothes to the funeral of John F. Kennedy.

DSCF5324 That’s a  well known name

Obviously, I am not a famous client – in fact my one and only Givenchy came from an OP Shop in Patea while we were passing by on one of our caravan trips.  There I spotted a length of very dark folded fabric with the famous name Givenchy printed all over it.  Wondering what it was, I carefully unfolded it.  It turned out to be a printed apron panel, and I purchased it for the princely sum of $2.

DSCF4787 Cutting the apron pieces out

Luckily I had some plain mauve fabric in my stash to use for the straps and top and bottom borders. Now I can swan around the kitchen looking like a rich person in my one Givenchy designed piece of clothing.

DSCF5327 My Givenchy apron