Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Last look at Marton Quilt Show

I’ve been waiting for the phone call, but it seems that I didn’t win one of those huge gift baskets at the Marton Quilt Show after all.  Oh dear – I was so looking forward to collecting my prize.  Never mind, I’m sure the winners will be enjoying all those exciting goodies packed in the baskets. 

With so many lovely quilts on display I’ll show you a few more which took my fancy, starting with this gorgeous piccaninny quilt.  Called “Friends”, this was a kit set quilt from Cherry Pie quilt shop, and stitched by Elaine Butterfield.

PA050029 Friends, by Elaine Butterfield

“Flower Patch” certainly says Spring, doesn’t it?  Made by Jean Fuldseth using her own hand dyed fabrics, it certainly is pretty as a flower garden.

PA050063 Flower Patch, by Jean Fuldseth

There has been quite a uproar here in New Zealand recently when the government reduced the snapper fishing limit daily catch for recreational fishermen from nine to three.  After the fishermen loudly complained this low limit was changed to seven per day, with an increase on the length of the fish.  Marlene Gordon said she couldn’t resist making this wall-hanging for her fisherman husband for Christmas.

PA050052The New Snapper Limit, Yeah Right!, by Marlene Gordon

There were all sorts if interesting Pin Cushions on display, and the public were invited to vote for one as their Viewer’s Choice.  After looking long and hard, dithering a bit, and changing my mind several times, I finally decided on this one.  Very cute, I thought.

PA050062 My Viewer’s Choice in the Pin Cushion competition

I recognised “Memories – Mum’s Dress, 1950’s Style” from the cover of Issue 84 of the New Zealand Quilter magazine.  This was made by Sue McClelland as part of a challenge, incorporating a very pretty floral fabric.  It was great to see this quilt in “real life” after reading about it in the magazine.
 
PA050055 Mum’s Dress, 1950’s Style, by Sue McClelland

And lastly, there was a display of New Zealand inspired quilts.  Rochelle Reilly created “Kiwiana Christmas using the koru shape in New Zealand fabrics.  This was beautifully quilted by fellow blogger Linda who writes her Razzle Dazzle Quilter blog.

PA050061 Kiwiana Christmas, by Rochelle Reilly

So that is the last from the Marton quilt show.  But there is another show to visit on Saturday.   My new club, Town and City Quilters are holding their bi-annual show on Saturday 12th October at the  Horowhenua Events Centre,  Victoria Street, Levin.  From  9 am – 4pm  $5 entry, which gives you a free ticket in the door prize which is a fabulous batik fabric pack from Wrights Fabrics in Morrinsville.  I’ll be on the raffle table for a while, come along and enjoy the show, and do stop to say hello
.

3 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Hi Jenny
Thanks for giving me an honorable mention

Cheers

Linda

Maria said...

Sew many beautiful quilts made by clever folk. My favourite is "mums dress"

Maria said...

Ps good luck with your show on Saturday