Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Something I Prepared Earlier

As the TV Chefs say – this is something I prepared earlier – all ready for when the birthday quilt comes back from Paula, the commercial quilter.  The long length of green binding had been prepared a few days ago – just hope I made it long enough.  Then I utilised a spare leaf block and turned it into a label for the back of the quilt.  With some green leafy veins stitched on, and a binding around the edge, now I just need to write the details onto the label.  Or perhaps I’ll embroider them, I’m not quite sure yet.

P6250079Quilt label and binding ready for action

We have had some rather chilly days here lately, clear and cold.  To help the birds out I’ve been offering them an assortment of fruit lately.  The pretty little native wax-eyes have made short work of several feijoas and even enjoyed a squashy mandarin or two.  Today I put an apple out for them on the feeder – after peeling it first before skewering it through the core onto the spike.  According to the birds, that was just as acceptable as the previous offerings.  I must make up some Bird Pudding too, a mixture of fat and seeds, they really enjoy that too.  I love to watch the birds feeding, and I’m sure I get just as much pleasure feeding them as they get eating whatever is on the daily menue.

P6250087 Two wax-eyes either side of the apple

2 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Gosh that bird feeder looks great. We decided to put out a bird feeder but the sparrows found about it and bullied the other birds off. Perhaps we should have tried fruit? Is that the answer?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I have never seen a fruit feeder like that, Jenny, and wax eyes are completely new to me. I would love to get that feeder.
I just love your quilt label. What a great idea to use one of the leaves, clever!