Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Rangitikei Quilt Show

We planned a caravan weekend away in Marton just so I could attend the Rangitikei Quilt Show.  I know – we could have driven there from home and back on the same day, but having a leisurely weekend away in the caravan is so much more relaxed, wouldn’t you say?  The ladies on duty welcomed me to the show, I paid my $5 entry fee, purchased some raffle tickets, and walked inside the hall.

PA030090 Welcoming committee

PA030134 Overview of the show

As always, there were lots of lovely quilts on display.  Several challenges too, and I loved the Teapot Cosy Challenge, seen on the tables in  the front of the photo above.  My Viewers Choice was this cute little thatched cottage.

PA030139 My choice in the Teapot Cosy Challenge

I hadn’t made my way very far into the hall when I bumped into blog reader Felicity from Norsewood.  Great to catch up again with you Felicity.  And hello to the Wanganui ladies, (sorry I didn’t catch your names), blog readers too. Thanks so much for stopping to re-introduce yourselves to me, and stopping for a chat.  I also met up with several ladies from my former quilt club, Pinestream Quilters, so it was a busy morning catching up with all these ladies.

On to the quilts - “Koru Beach”, by Isla Crawford had a real Kiwi beach theme, such a happy sunny days sort of quilt.  A row-by-row quilt, featuring related icons from beach huts, surf boards, beach umbrellas, even ice cream cones, all decorated with the distinctive koru shape.

PA030096Koru  Beach

Another with a New Zealand theme was “Anzac Poppies”, by Margaret Arama.  Made from poppy blocks won at Feilding Kowhai Quilters, the blocks were set into a banner using a border print found in her stash.

PA030103 Anzac Poppies

Julie Clarke made “Alister’s American Experience” to commemorate her nephew's adventures hunting in American wild parks.  She sent away to USA for the pattern and fabrics to make this stunning masculine quilt.

PA030117

PA030118Alister’s American Adventure

I couldn’t go past this lovely little Challenge Quilt, made from a song title.  “Ten Guitars” was stitched by Sally Stevens.  I have to admit that this Kiwi classic is one of my all time favourite songs, and not only have I danced to the tune many times, I’ve also very bravely got up on stage with three others and sang along to it. How about that – not like me at all!

PA030128 Ten Guitars

And my Viewers Choice vote went to “In My Garden”, by Maureen Marshall.  Just beautiful – and a little different.  This quilt attracted a lot of interest.

PA030115 In My Garden

Just look at these cheeky faces – my Sew Wot buddies Mary and Helen were enjoying the show too.

PA030138Mary and Helen at the show

Of course I visited the merchants area too down the rear of the hall, finding a few pieces of fabric which insisted on coming home with me.  Although I was quite restrained, just buying for a new project which I’ll be starting soon.   It was a great show, in a nice roomy building, congratulations to Rangitikei Quilters.  Just a reminder – I’m still waiting for a phone call to say I won a fabulous raffle prize!

3 comments:

NickiJ said...

Nothing beats a great display of quilts put together in a display to show off all the beauties everybody has spent hours toiling over.

loulee said...

Thank you for sharing. Love the poppy quilt.

Jenny said...

I love quilt shows - all that talent and variety in one place. The shows with an on-site cafe are a real hit with me too, somewhere to sit and enjoy a cuppa, and this cafe was upstairs looking down onto the hall, so that was a bonus. I enjoyed checking out the merchants who alawys want to take some cash off us, and bought a few pieces of fabric which I couldn't resist!