Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Quilt Shop in Alice Springs

At the conclusion of our 4 day coach tour into the red centre of the country, we are now back in Alice Springs for 3 nights.  I didn’t know much about Alice Springs, but I had heard there was a quilt shop in town.  How exciting – I need to check that out!

P1010712
Waiting patiently outside the quilt shop

The Aboriginal Fabric Gallery is a lovely shop, full to bursting with the colours of Australia.  The owner (sorry but I didn’t catch her name) told me she was a Kiwi from Auckland and was quite happy for me to take a few photos.  Alice Springs has a thriving quilting community it seems, as well as lots of other different craftspeople living in the area.

P1010709P1010710
Views of the shop

There were all sorts of lovely goodies to temp visitors.  Fabrics on bolts ready to be cut, extra wide fabrics for backings or tablecloths, lots of fat quarters, jelly rolls and the like.  I made my selection, a little of this and a little of that, then got a lovely surprise.  The owner came and popped three lovely fat quarters into my bag showing Australian plants in three different colourways.  How kind – thank you so much.

P1010711
Thank you so much for the extra goodies

Even though we are on holiday, the laundry still needs to be done.  So down we trotted, armed with a pile of $1 coins to set it all in motion.  We had stayed at this hotel overnight before we embarked on our 4 day Kings Outback Tour so knew all about this particular laundry.  I can’t help myself, just have to get the washing done.

P1010705
Happiness is clean laundry

If readers would like to keep up with our travels in more detail, do pop over to our other blog, which gives a much fuller account of our Aussie Adventures.
You can find it on www.romanyrambler.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Janice said...

I don't tend to go into fabric shops wherever we go, but that is one I do want to visit. I'm saving my purchase of aboriginal fabric until I do eventually get there. We'd hoped to visit a couple of years ago but life got in the way.....one day. I'm sure you got some lovely purchases there.