Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Going with Plan B

It was a good start earlier in the week when I completed stitching the final two Soul Searching blocks.  These stitched up nicely in dark purple and aqua.

P1070117
Last two Soul Searching blocks

Then I laid my twelve big blocks on the bed, arranging them this way and that,  and stitched them all together.  Hurray – a finish, or so I thought.  I mentioned previously that I had decided to stitch twelve blocks instead of the nine in the pattern.  Why?  Because I thought I knew better.  But three blocks across by four blocks down didn’t really work and was much too long, with the bottom row almost hanging on the floor.  So upsetting, but there was no use continuing on.   After I had recovered, it was  onto Plan B, and out came the unpicker.  Now that’s a job I dislike.

P1070140
Unpicking – don’t you hate it?

With the blocks pressed I rearranged them again.   Then the top was soon reassembled and I stood back to have another reassessment.  That’s better, although the jury is still out on whether to add a multi-coloured border or not.  Perhaps – perhaps not - any ideas?

P1070143
Finished top

I definitely prefer the contrast with stronger colours and have used dark grey, dark pink, black, red, forest green, dark blue, purple, burgundy, and aqua blue in the blocks.  The paler blocks have been removed and will become part of the backing.

P1070144
Pale blue, pink and lilac blocks will go on the back of the quilt

It’s always a good feeling to get a top done, the next step will be to sew up a backing, but I’ll need to purchase more fabric for that. 

P1070146
Quick outdoors photo in the rain

8 comments:

Nancy J said...

Darker is wonderful, and what about a border with short strips of all the colours, and a plain paler binding? How did you manage to get a photo without raindrops? We have had rain again for 2 days and nights, and lit the fire>>>Again!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on completing Plan B. Sometimes quilting just works that way, doesn't it? Bonus points for having a start on the quilt back, though!! :o))

Tired Teacher said...

I love these blocks and how you arranged them. The lighter ones will look great on the back. Nice job!

Jenny said...

Thank you ladies for your kind words. And Jean, I rather like the idea of a strippy scrappy border. But you know what that means, don't you?
A: I haven't finished after all, and
B: I'll be making a real mess digging through my containers looking for bits and pieces of the fabrics used!

Janice said...

At least you will be able to use the three extra blocks on the back. It will look great when it is finished.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

It looks beautiful with the jewel-tone blocks. The lighter blocks will look great on the back. A two sided quilt!

-Soma

Maria said...

I don"t think it needs a border.. Will be to busy....

Anonymous said...

I kind of like either none, or another band of that background fabric to give some floating space. I'm sure whatever you decide will be excellent!