Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Something I prepared earlier

Not so many ladies made it to our sewing group this month, but never mind, we still had a busy day. My first job of the day was to do some mending. This was the mending that I really should have done on Sunday, but never got around to it. Robin’s work shorts now no longer have holes in the pockets – he told me his pens kept falling out. I have put patches over the previously patched pockets. With any luck these shorts will last the distance then when he stops work they can be discarded. Or maybe we will light a bonfire and throw them on to burn. He has certainly had his money’s worth out of these work shorts, and he has my patched pockets to thank for that!

That little job out of the way, I then got on to some interesting sewing. No, I didn’t take any of the many UFOs I have in various stages of completion, I felt like starting something new. So I took along a kit that which was a gift from Carol of South Dakota. Inside the kit was the pattern, and a whole bunch of five inch squares in country colours. Prior to attending my sewing group, I prepared all the pieces, cutting the necessary number of squares and rectangles, and put them all into their individual labelled bags. So everything was ready to sew. I stitched away making small and large half square triangles, then sewed squares on to the ends of rectangles, cut and pressed. The pieces were quite fiddly, so it all took ages. Then everything got put back into the little plastic bags again, till the next time.

DSCF3753 All pieces cut and labelled

Joyce spent most of the day at her sewing machine doing freehand machine quilting. She was working on a 21st birthday quilt for her grand-daughter composed of half square triangles in such a lovely colour range. With the quilting finally finished, Joyce then spent the rest of the day sewing them the ends in.

DSCF3754 21st birthday quilt

Margaret was finishing off a quilt for her grand-daughter,too, and just had the binding to sew down on this pretty pastel quilt. The centre appliqué block is of angels growing out of a flower pot. This is surrounded by pastel checkerboards, such a pretty quilt for a little girl.

DSCF3755 Angel quilt for a little girl

There is a bit of a story about the quilt Heather is holding up. Heather was at the recent Capital Quilters quilt show, demonstrating hand quilting, when she was approached by a visitor, Sister Marion. One of the Sisters had started a hexagon quilt some years ago, but had since passed away. Did Heather know anyone who could help finish the quilt? Heather replied that she would be delighted to help, so went and collected a chocolate box full of hexagons. This is the finished result – didn’t she do well! The Sisters will be thrilled, I’m sure.

DSCF3751 Heather with the hexagon quilt

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: