Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Almost done

I made the most of a day off work today, and really worked hard finishing the black and white quilt I’m making for my daughter. It needed a plain black border to finish it off. Laying the quilt top on the floor, I smoothed it out and carefully measured it. Three times as you do – once down the middle and then down the sides. Pinning those long strips took ages. I am a real “pinner”, I like to pin plenty and often. Once I had stitched the black strips to the long sides, I did it all again along the top and bottom.

DSCF4138 Black border strip added

Then it was time to stitch the backing fabric. I had purchased many metres of white fabric with a small black spot – that should look good on the back, I thought. But……… all that fabric and it still wasn’t quite enough! Oh no, what to do? Luckily I had just enough of the lime green accent fabric to add a piece down the middle of the backing.

DSCF4137 Backing fabric

There are a few loose threads that need snipping off and then I’ll give the quilt top and backing fabric a good press. I’ve arranged to get this quilt commercially quilted and will drop it off on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I love your quilt top. Black and white with a touch of colour always looks spekkie.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm so proud of you for knowing the proper way to add borders to a quilt! Well, I don't mean to be the quilt police here, but I've seen enough improperly added borders to know that it makes a huge difference to the finished quilt when the quiltmaker measures, cuts, pins and sews, just as you did. Well done!