Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Baking for my Quilt Club Meeting

I’m on “supper duty” tonight at my monthly quilt club meeting so I’ve been busy baking today.  Those on supper each month are required to take along a plate of supper, make the tea and coffee and tidy up afterwards.  (Does your club have such duties, such as supper, hall, and library?) Home baking is always best, I think, and most of the offerings are delicious home cooked cakes or biscuits.  To tell the truth, I  always feel just a little bit short-changed when a packet of commercial biscuits appears on the supper table.  My contribution for tonight is “Oaty Lemon Slice”.  Here it is already iced, and ready to pop into the fridge for the icing to set, then I will cut it into pieces.  Want to give this easy recipe a try?  Do let me know what you think if you do make it.
DSCF6314 Oaty Lemon Slice
Oaty lemon Slice:  Place 1 cup flour, two thirds cup of sugar, 1 cup of desiccated coconut and 1 cup of rolled oats into a bowl and stir together.  Heat 100gr butter and 1 tablespoon of golden syrup in pan until just melted.  Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of boiling water.  Pour into dry ingredients and mix together.  Press mixture into tin lined with baking paper and bake 20-25 minutes at 180C till golden.
Lemon Icing:  Place 2 cups of icing sugar in bowl.  Mix through 50gr softened butter, juice and grated zest of lemon (or two).  Spread icing over cooled base, leave to set before cutting into squares.
As I started baking there was a plaintive little voice in my ear.  “Will you be leaving some of that for me when you go out tonight?”   So what could I do, but promise to do extra baking that would be remaining for home consumption.  I made a batch of cornflake and raisin biscuits (that’s cookies for those readers from USA), and a lemon loaf.  That should keep him happy, don’t you think?
DSCF6315  Cornflake biscuits and lemon loaf

No comments: