Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Memory Stars

After sewing steadily for the last week or so, I’ve completed the star blocks for a Memory quilt I’m making for a friend.  This type of quilt is always a bit different to making a regular quilt.  Various shirts, tee shirts, a work jersey and a scarf were all included in the bag of clothing I received.  Although it’s up to me how I go about designing this wall-hanging, my friend Pauline has asked for a couple of particular items (or parts of the same) be used.  Memory quilts seem to evolve as you go along, I feel. 

P9010004 From this bag of clothes

P9080005 
To these star blocks

I’ve had a fine old time chopping the logos off various tee shirts and a work jersey, adding stabiliser to the back of these knit fabrics to stop them from stretching as I sewed the blocks together.  On one particular block, I’ve changed the colour of the star points three times.  Versions one and two looked fine on their own, but did not go with the the rest of the blocks when I laid them all out together.  Just goes to show what a big difference a little splash of colour can make.
 
The next step will sash the blocks together.  I’ve had enough stitching today so will get on to that in a day or two, and there may well be something suitable in the bag.  There is no need to worry about the border just yet, I’m taking this process one step at a time.  Things have to be meaningful in a Memory quilt, I feel. And I want to do a good job for Pauline, in memory of Geoff.

4 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Gosh, they look super. I have just been given a memory top to quilt. I fear it may be a bit of a bear as it has all sorts of fabrics including stretch fabric without interfacing.

Nancy J said...

From your heart and hands, Jenny, this will be a beauty. Cheers,Jean

Katie said...

I can’t wait to see what you come up with! :-)

Jenny said...

Thanks for your comments, ladies. This sort of quilt seems to go it's own way, I find.