Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

On holiday in Gisborne

The days have rushed by and we are now in sunny Gisborne.  Easter was spent at a speck of a place called Putorino – I’d never heard of it before, but we had driven past this tiny place before and never noticed.  After five days camping there without power of an internet connection, it was bliss to settle into the Waikanae Beach Motor Camp and reconnect to life again.  Not forgetting the laundry room – I had a whole heap of washing to attend to!  The beautiful Waikanae Beach is just across the road, it is indeed a lovely place to stay.

Surprise, surprise, a trip up town today led me right to the local Bernina Sewing Centre, which I just had to check out.  I checked with Chris, the helpful sales assistant, if I could take a few photos of the shop to share on my blog.  The shop is nice and bright, with a good variety of quilt panels hanging on the wall.  Not just for babies and toddlers, some for boys too, I noticed.

P4080006

Making a bee-line to the patchwork fabrics, I saw a great selection of New Zealand inspired prints, including some new ones which I hadn’t seen before.  There was a good selection of patchwork fabrics too, and dress fabrics for the home sewers.

P4080003 Patchwork fabrics.

Buttons and threads, trims and laces, everything you would need.  Plus a huge selection of knitting wool and patterns.  In fact, my only purchase was extremely modest, a pair of knitting needles.

P4080002  Spoilt for choice

It is always so nice to discover a “new to me” quilt shop, and I am so lucky that I have the opportunity to do so as we travel around our beautiful country, towing our caravan behind us.

Captain James Cook is honoured in Gisborne, and statues seem to pop up everywhere of him and his ship, Endeavour.Captain Cook and his crew came ashore seeking fresh food and water at Kaiti Beach, Gisborne, and met up with the Maori chief Toka a-Taiau.   Things did not go at all well, and the traditional Maori challenge was unfortunately misunderstood by the English.  Shots  were fired, killing some Maori men and the ship hurriedly sailed away without the badly needed provisions, and Poverty Bay received it’s name.   From here the Endeavour circumnavigated New Zealand, and Captain Cook plotted the first map of this country.
 P4080013 Statue of Captain James Cook on Waikanae Beach, Gisborne

2 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Beautiful shop to browse. Captain Cook also mapped much of our coastline and gave many places their names..he got around!

Jenny said...

He certainly did get around!