Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Fox’s Cottage

Fox’s Cottage is a cute little quilt shop newly opened in Foxton, about 20km up SH1 from our home.  Owner Robyn Blandford is a keen knitter and quilter and has finally achieved her dream of opening her very own craft shop. 

P8160009

I received a very warm welcome from Robyn when I entered her shop in the weekend, and she was quite happy for me to take a few photos.   Her aim is to offer good quality products, from fabric, sewing threads, books and magazines, patterns,and lovely cosy balls of New Zealand wool. 

P8160001 Robyn behind the counter in her new shop

We had quite a conversation about knitting socks.  Although I have already bought sock wool, needles and a pattern, I have yet to attempt my first pair of knitted socks.  It is just that it seems so hard, with heels and toes to worry about.  Perhaps I need a sock tutor!

P8160002Knitting wool

And I couldn't leave empty handed, could I?   After looking through the fabric, and being drawn to lots of pretty colours, I gave myself a good talking to.  My next big project will be a quilt in blacks and greys, colours requested by my grand-daughter Emma.  So that is what I bought, a piece of black with newspaper text, and another of grey, black and white.  Much more sensible to get something I will actually use, rather than just adding to the stash.  Plus one of those pretty fat quarters too.  I wish Robyn well in her new enterprise.
.
P8160024 My purchase which will be used for Emma’s quilt

With my quilty fix taken care of, we went next door to the Foxton Villa Cafe for Sunday lunch.  And what a lovely lunch it was.  Seared scallops and King prawns for her, and slow roasted leg of lamb for him, both delicious.  With coffee and a chocolate profiterole to finish, we were certainly well fed.

P8160007 Our tasty lunches

After that delicious lunch we needed a little exercise, and went for a walk along the Awahou Bush Boardwalk.  This Boardwalk is a project of ‘Keep Foxton Beautiful’ and has been constructed with the help of many local citizens.  The ground is very boggy, and the boardwalk meandered over it through native bush and tall flaxes.  Birds were singing, and it was a lovely, peaceful walk.  Soon we arrived at the Manawatu River, and sat down in the sun on a handy picnic table for a photo or two, with the river behind us.  The boardwalk is only about 0.5km long, with plans to extend it in the future.

P8160015Selfie at the picnic table, next to the Manawatu River

What a lovely afternoon it was.  What with discovering a new quilt shop, followed by a delicious lunch, it was a great way to spend a Sunday - lucky me.

1 comment:

Nancy J said...

And I have driven past Foxton so many times lately, will call in next time we go that way.