Welcome to tales of my stitching life, home, family and friends.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Gently does it

It’s been a matter of “gently does it” when I returned home from my overnight stay in hospital after my op last week.  Hospitals are so noisy, as I’m sure most of you know.  And you just manage to drop off to sleep when the night nurse arrives with their little torch and implements to do the obs, several times a night.  And just to keep us on our toes, our small ward of six overnight patients were awakened at 6.00am, up and dressed and moved to sit in a lounge.  We whiled away the next few hours on breakfast, meeting with our respective surgeons and waiting for our partners to arrive to take us home.  Our overnight beds were needed for the current day’s surgery patients.

So home I’ve been resting up, sitting in the Lazyboy chair (recliner), done a little knitting and caught up with some TV viewing which had been recorded and not yet watched.  I had two episodes Dr Thorne to savour and enjoy, written by the very talented Julian Fellows of Downton Abbey fame.

With two lots of stitches from my lumpectomy I’m being careful not to to put any stress or strain on my right arm.  No beating rugs outside, (have I ever?) and Robin has taken over the bed making duties in the meantime.  And I found just the thing to take the pressure off my bruised and battered breast when I go to bed at night.  A lovely little satin cushion to slip between my arm and breast really makes a huge difference.  We called down to the local Cancer Society rooms and a couple of service organizations make and donate them for patients.  Take two, I was told, as they are different thicknesses.

P1000603
Satin cushions to tuck under the arm in bed.

Many, many thanks to all of you who have sent good wishes and  messages of support – I truly appreciate each and every message, note, card, and phone call.  And tomorrow, being Monday, I’m very gently going to get that dice out and give it a gentle roll to see which UFO I can bring out of oblivion.  If I’m careful and don’t overdo things, I should be able to get a little sewing done. 

10 comments:

Nancy J said...

Let that dice roll onto the right number, and if it turns up at ZERO, be assured it will be very OK if you do have another week off. Those wee cushions are so helpful, and to read your words today is so good.
We have had rain all day, very cold early this morning, about 3C, so the fire was lit, coffee and blog, then back to have a few more hours sleep.
Beating the rugs, never, I have shaken the odd floor mat, but the carpet sweeper is so handy when the vac cleaner gets too hard to lug around.
Hugs and love, Jean
p.s. Robin, can you get a " Hire-a-wifey" as I do know that the Hire-a-hubby are very handy at so much.!!!

Frances Leate said...

Good wishes for a speedy recovery and hope everything is OK. I hope your husband looks after you as well as mine did when I was in the same boat some years ago. Take care

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Learned two things from your post today...those cushion thingys and Dr. Thorne, another show for me to search out. Meanwhile, You seem on top of things. Be sure to be good to yourself and take all the rest as you need it. As we know, housework can wait for another day.

nestki said...

It am so glad you made it through surgery and home again. I wish you maximum enjoyment of life while you heal. Thank you for the tip about Dr. Thorne!

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Good to hear that is out of the way. Those cushions look just the ticket. Rest up and take care.

Janice said...

Glad to hear you are back home and recuperating. Isn't it wonderful that people take the time to make cushions to make life more comfortable. I'm sure Robin is taking good care of you. Enjoy some gentle stitching.

Katie said...

Sewing helps make everything better. Roll those dice! :-)

Leeann said...

Glad you are home again. Those cushions look like a really good idea, I hope they work and you get lots of good sleep.
Wishing you all the best, and hope you feel up to some stitching soon.

Kate said...

Nice for you to be home again - take care.

NickiJ said...

Where would we be without the comfort of those cushions! Down here in Canterbury a group makes them heart-shaped, that way you can tuck them under your arm and keep the pressure off your healing. There sure are some very inventive and thoughtful people out there. Heal well and keep rested - light sewing only!